Issue with Range Research on big (16M) database

• I've successfully run Range Research with Hand2Note + the H2N Pro Tools package for a big database (12M hands/50k players). Building the Range Research report would take < 20 minutes and the "Saving results into database ..." part would be within a couple of minutes.

I added 4M more hands to get a 16M hands/64k players database and ran into an issue with that. Now the "Saving results into database ..." process does not terminate:

Range Research process hanging

When I click on "RESULT" I have empty popups:

Empty popups

I have let the "Saving results to database ..." process run for > 1 hour but it seems to be permanently stuck. It took only a couple of minutes to complete the saving for a 12M hands database, so I am puzzled why 16M hands should make a big difference.

I have checked the hand histories, and they don't seem to cause problems. It's a 2 month sample of hands. I split it up and tried the first 3 weeks of hands (4M) first, and it loaded and processed in Range Research without problems. The last 5 weeks (12M) loaded separately also loaded and processed fine.

But when I combine them to a 16M database, Range Research can not complete the "Saving results into database..." step on the end.

I am running H2N 3.1.16.1 together with H2N Pro Tools v5.84 on an Amazon EC2 cloud instance (Windows Server 2012 R2) with 16 cores, 30 GB of RAM, 200GB disk space, so hardware limitations should not be an issue. The database uses 42GB and there is plenty of disk space left.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

UPDATE:

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyx1hrhua6ht1ja/logs-2016-12-10-22-40-50.sil?dl=0

2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n95a4ys7u7eg5g/logs-2016-12-11-01-51-01.sil?dl=0

Here are link to two log files. The first was dumped after the 16M hands import was done. The second while the unsuccessful "Saving results into database ..." process was hanging for more than half an hour.

There was a lot of processor activity and RAM use. The program was responsive and not frozen, but the saving process was stuck.

UPDATE:
    When I limited Range Research on 16M hands database to only players with > 10k hands (around 2k out of 64k players), the process completed fine.

But I would still like to run Range Research on the whole player pool and figure out what bug is causing this problem.

• Global Moderator

Thank you for so detailed information. Our development department is working on finding the cause of the issue.

• Any updates? If it's a Windows-related issue, I have the option to migrate to Windows Server 2016.

• Global Moderator

We are still waiting for a response from the development department.

• Any progress for this case?

• Global Moderator

We are waiting for the next release

• Did the bug get fixed for release 3.1.17.1?

• Global Moderator

The issue is still under investigation.

The last release was unplanned:

Update Notes

• Thanks. If you need some more info along way, just let me know. :- )

• Global Moderator

It would be nice if you try to build this report again on the latest version 3.1.17.1

• Bug appears to be fixed in v3.1.17.1. I have loaded a 24M database and run a Range Report on it without any problems. :- )

One thing to be noted, when I encountered the bug I had H2N ProTools installed. Now I use a self-made custom pop-up instead. It's possible that ProTools triggered the problem, but can't say for sure.

• Global Moderator

Thank you for the information.

Looks like your connection to Hand2Note was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.